....but I can't join choir because....
"I can't fit 3 trimesters of choir into my schedule." - There are many ways to do choir every year and still stake the academic classes you want to take. Click here for a document that outlines how to do it or look at the images below. The main thing is make sure the counselors know that you want choir as a priority.
"Choir is too big a commitment, I have other sports, clubs, etc. I want to do." - Choir is a commitment. It's a full year class that has the potential to conflict with other activities. However, for choir students in the Men's and Women's choirs the commitment outside of school is minimal, they have 4 concerts and generally about 3-4 other required performances over the course of the year, mostly in the spring involving the region and state festivals. Polyphony has a more extensive performance schedule, but very rarely are their conflicts that can't be resolved. There are many choir students who take choir and are involved multiple other activities. Click the button below to hear from students involved in choir and multiple other activities.
"The audition is too scary, plus I can't sing anyway." - I've met very few people who cannot sing at all. The main purpose of the audition is to see what choir would be best for you to be a part of, where you and your classmates can grow as singers together. The audition is simple and is mainly designed to test your pitch matching skills. There are 4 parts to the audition: One, fill out a form, two, sing a simple song we both know (Ex: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, My Country 'Tis Of Thee), three, match the pitches I play on the piano, and four (if I need to hear more), I play a chord on the piano and ask you to sing one of the notes in the chord back to me. Click the button below to see a video example of the audition. Remember, the worst thing that can happen is that you don't get into the choir you want. If you don't audition, you're guaranteed to not make it. It's always better to audition so that you can be placed in the choir that is best for you. Let Mr. Merryweather help decide if you can't sing, he's a singing expert.
"I can't read music and choir just seems too hard." - Actually music is hard, that's why smart people do it. Or is it that music makes people smarter? I like to think that both are true. In reality we spend probably 90% of our time rehearsing and preparing music. The other 10% we work to get everyone in the choir reading music and generally improving their individual musicianship. It does take some effort, but most are able to pick it up. If you take choir you will come out a better musician when you leave. Click the button below to see a video of how choir has helped students become better musicians.
"Mr. Merryweather looks and seems scary." - First of all just because someone is bald doesn't mean they're scary. Some students say you just have to get to know him because he has a pretty dry sense of humor and uses sarcasm a little too loosely. Plus, how could you be scared of this? (See photos) Click the button below to hear what choir students have to say about Mr. Merryweather.